Sunday, September 23, 2012

6 months later...



It has been 6 months since my husband has been home. 6 months done with the USMC. *click here to see our homecoming post* =) 6 months of being not just a military family, but a disabled veteran family now. Finding others similar to us isn't he easiest in our area. So it has been a big shock for me, someone who was very involved and comfortable in the "military family/community" aspect that life on base brings.

The job side of things has been one of the biggest struggles. In April he ended up getting a seasonal job as maintenance at a golf course. I remind him all the time there is no shame in a day of good work but he is still unhappy.

Multiple interviews, at least 1-3 every other week, has still shown up as dead ends. He has been as honest as possible, and when asked why he left the comfortable military life (it shows on his resume as honorably discharged), he will tell them the truth-he is a disabled veteran. Even though it is against the law to discriminate, it's funny how sometimes he will be on a second interview, sometimes even (an unheard of to me) third interview and once he mentions any disability they're thankful but never contact him again. He is considering keeping that little bit of info under wraps to try and see if that gets him any farther. *SW MICHIGAN WORKS* are very enthusiastic and helpful, they give us so much hope about "veteran-friendly" workplaces. I know they're out there, but finding the right one has just been hard. I've gotten to the point I have to try so hard to force some excitement and hopefulness to him when he has another interview, but I know my attitude has to be rubbing off and not helping him any.

By law, a workplace has to allow a disabled veteran attend his V.A appointments. And with my husband guaranteed at least 2-3 a month, I can understand from the employer-side why they would rather have someone else who would have a better chance attending work. Even though it hurts our pride when that someone else they choose is less qualified for the job than my husband.

As a huge change in our family, I started working at the end of July. My job is also partly seasonal, with it slowing down in November and picking back up in February. So this past week I have been looking for a SECOND job. Many friends/family have told me "but now you're going to be even more tired, and see your son even less"! I understand that fully, and it pains me a little but we have to do what's necessary. Just like so many Americans struggling out there. I know I'm not the first, nor the last. I have so much respect for others, and single parents especially, out there.

He has another appointment this Tuesday, and I'm praying the hardest I have in a year. Any good vibes readers have to send would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment