Saturday, September 22, 2012

Galaxy Nails



^click to make bigger!

I've seen these floating around pinterest and have wanted to try them for awhile now. The only problem is, when it comes to something this intricate---I need NO distractions. So I got up at a decent time, made a huge breakfast, and while the kiddo was distracted with that food I snuck off to my nail guinea pig-my mother's roomate Dee. =)

The technique used was taking makeup facial sponges (found at the dollar tree for a nice big pack - they're shaped like triangles), putting different blots of 'space' paint (dark blue, purple, teal, and a nice dark silvery grey), "stamping" the sponge into that and then rolling the sponge onto nails that already have a black base-coat on. This stamping effect is nice because it blends it so nicely and dries faster than the usual paint-by-brush way. For more detailed instructions on using sponges for nails, check out this pin *here*  from Laynie's Fingers Blog =) 

So after I rolled on the lovely colors, I went thru and blotted the blue, purple, and teal into certain areas that I wanted to have a more bold color. Let that dry, and then taking a nice chunky gold top coat, do little random areas in the gold. No need to be perfect, the galaxy isn't cookie-cutter shape! Take a toothpick and a super glittery silvery and make little "stars." To add contrast, I added little "star" dots mainly in the gold areas to let them show thru. It would be fun to do mini-constellations as well!

Let me know if you've done "galaxy" nails before, or were inspired by this post! Link back to me, let me know! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment