Friday, July 6, 2012

Heat Wave! +water tips



We've had triple digits here at B&B, like the majority of the country. Combine that with near-drought conditions for some places (where I live) and it is even more dangerous. Today I want to hit a few points when it comes to water, especially water in this heat. ESPECIALLY WATER & KIDS. Thankfully, my son has liked water since he was an infant...but that is because I hold firm and it's what I give him in the summer. Sadly I've realized as we meet more new people & friends, not everyone does this. Mom's look at me and say "well, he just won't drink it so I give him the kool aid (or, *gulp* pop) instead." Some think that because it's sprite- it's okay. IT'S NOT. I know *I* as an adult abuse my pop intake, and it should only be a once-in-awhile-thing. Kids drinking any pop on a daily basis, and I know that I want my kid to be better than I am.




...the amount of water we need during a normal day is more than most think. So that means the amount needed during extreme temperatures, is greater. The easiest way to get a good, accurate idea, is to use about.com's short quiz. Just enter in a few things like weight (so you can find out of each family member), and answer if you're in extreme conditions or not (like most of us are right now).

If you drink pop, you need to drink even MORE water to make up for it. Pop actually DEHYDRATES the body (though I know, a good coke sometimes just QUENCHES your thirst, mine too *wink*). During a heat wave, it's even more tricky. Heat+Humidity combined slows down our bodies natural "AC" which is through sweating. *Heat Illness - quick facts*

 Having trouble getting your kid to drink water? Try:
- try using fun shaped ice cubes. little stars, flowers, etc.
- freeze little blueberries or cut up fruit for ice cubes. (my son loved froze blueberries last summer as a tasty snack)
- MIO is a calorie, sugar, and sodium free drink additive. Add just a few drops to flavor water.
- ...honestly... my kid seeing *ME* drink water makes him want water.

DON'T FORGET! Pets need water too! Their water should be changed daily, with fresh, cool water. Check often, you  might have empty bowls faster than you would guess. Our doges go thru over 6 re-fills a day right now, and that's with 2-3 different bowls of water!







No comments:

Post a Comment